M - 20 days and counting

 Today is the 3rd day of the 34th week, the 20th day of the 8th month, the 233rd day of 2024 [with only 126 shopping days until Christmas], and:

  • Akshay Urja Day
  • Independence Day - Estonia from the Soviet Union in 1991 [again]
  • International Day of Medical Transporters
  • Meitei Language Day - AKA Manipuri Language Day, the day on which Meitei (Manipuri) was included in the scheduled languages' list and made one of the official languages of India
  • National Accessible Air Travel Day
  • National Bacon Lover's Day
  • National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day
  • National Hawaiian Pizza Day - yes pineapple belongs on pizza with ham  
  • National Lemonade Day
  • National Radio Day
  • Virtual Worlds Day - celebrated since 2008, although Second LIfe [which is NOT a life simulation game like the Sims] started in June of 2003
  • World Mosquito Day 
Quote of the day:
"The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool."
~ Jane Wagner - American writer, director, and producer who writes material for her spouse, comedienne Lily Tomlin

Less than three weeks....

I didn't do much last night after work, just went back and confirmed the measurements of the bedroom furniture being delivered on Friday that I used on my floor plan.  Right now I have a delivery window from IKEA of 8 AM to 8 PM, so I'm hoping that gets whittled down a bit as the day gets closer.  I confirmed my reservation on Saturday for the TaskRabbit person who is going to come and put everything together [additional cost $700+]

And I don't know how much I'll do this evening - have to stop at the jewelry shop to get watch batteries replaced after I get off from work.   These days that I go into the office, I am just so tired when I get home.  It is a constant wonder to me that before COVID, I was commuting and in the office five days a week.  I just don't know how we all did it - and I have to add, I am really not looking forward to [1] having to park outside for now [I'm on the waiting list for a garage space] and [2] a commute that will take 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way in rush hour traffic to go to work.   

The other downsides to this new place are:  having to use Comcast's Infinity [giving up my FIOS Gateway is tough], and losing the view from the balcony.   All those are little things; the fact that it is also significantly more expensive is the biggest hurdle.  My daughter keeps nervously checking with me that I am happy with the new place, and I'm sure I will be once the trauma from the move wears off.  I simply have to keep reminding myself just how nice it really is and how thoroughly impressed I was with it when Craig and I went to see it.

This and that:

The social security number breach is on all of our minds - this article tells you how to check if your number was compromised and what you can do about it, not that there is much.

Yesterday I commented on the fact that we are once again being told this winter might be snowy hereabouts.  Apparently the Atlantic is really doing something unusual and if I understand this rather technical article, we may indeed be in for a stormy season.  

How the rich get richer - aided and abetted by an obviously crookedly biased justice [in Northern Texas naturally].  Seriously, this non-profit is likely to be run out of business because a billionaire slapped them with a frivolous law suit.  Oh, and speaking of Elon Musk, apparently his image is part of a publicity stunt to sell NFTs.  

I think we can all agree that Bansky is just cool.   

Sometimes it's pretty hard to tell when existing companies are objecting to new tech because there is a problem and when they are just trying to stifle competition.  

I remember him on the fourth season of Project Runway, and have been a fan every since.  For what it is worth, I also keep an eye on Austin Scarlett, whose cornhusk dress in season one made me a instant fan of the show and of his.  Of course, I can't afford to have either one of them design clothing for me and even if I could, I'm not sure they would want to for my body type and/or age.

An interesting perspective on Ukraine's turnaround invasion of Russia and it's from a very conservative paper.  Russia, incidentally, isn't very happy with the international coverage of the battle zone.  

Now here's a space issue I hadn't thought of - it seems that not only will the Starliner astronauts end up hitching a ride on a Dragon, they will have to wear different spacesuits!  

So many things can go wrong with rocket science, which is why there are test firings of rockets before they launch.

Disney hasn't had good news for a while now, starting with cratering park attendance and finishing up with a ridiculous attempt to sidestep a wrongful death suit.   And they are making the same mistakes with Disney+ that cable made back in the day.   Now, we find out that Disneyland Paris is part of France's bedbug infestation.   I remember when all up and down the east coast we had cities with this issue - those little bugs spread like wildfire, and it only takes one hitchhiking on a shoe or luggage to start a real problem....

Work from home, especially hybrid schedules, would seem to be here to stay, but as usual, the federal workers are getting played for political rather than productivity reasons 

Which is a nice segue into the political, er.... stuff of the day:

I think that's enough politics now - even though I try to share things that aren't quite as common as most of what you scroll through

I know you aren't supposed to run with scissors, and that they are sharp implements, but I'm sorry, I think this reaction was a bit of overkill.   

Massachusetts' bill to have Uber and Lyft drivers paid more, with benefits, went into effect last Thursday.  Despite predictions that this would be the end of rideshares in the state, there doesn't seem to be much difference yet.  I guess we need to give it a little more time, but most drivers seem to feel they are making less and less a year after all the costs.  

And so goes another Tuesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 296 - just another Monday

In exactly one month