In exactly one month

Today is the 6th day of the 32nd week, the 9th day of the 8th month, the 222nd day of 2024, and:

  • Book Lovers Day
  • Independence Day - Singapore from Malaysia in 1965
  • International Coworking Day
  • International Day of the World's Indigenous People - a stray thought....   if my greatgrandparents had stayed in Ireland and Wales, and I had been born there, would I be considered indigenous?  After all, both countries had robust cultures when the English arrived.....  
  • National Hand Holding Day
  • National Passion Fruit Day
  • National Polka Day
  • National Rice Pudding Day
  • National Veep Day - because on this day in 1974, for the first time a President of the US resigned and a Vice President stepped up
  • Shop Online for Groceries Day
  • and Voyager I is 46 Yrs 11 Mos 04 Days and 15,239,227,724 mi / 24,525,167,308 km / 163.94061756 AU from the Earth

Quote of the day:
"As human beings, we are all not conducting just one narrative but many narratives all at the same time."
~  David Hare - English playwright, screenwriter, and theater director


The story changes when you frame it differently, similar to how a photograph is altered by the angle it is taken or the way that it is cropped, and the framing dictates the visceral response.  

For weeks I have been castigating myself up for not doing enough for this move, driving myself almost constantly to do something, to go over to the apartment [which I haven't done much], and worrying as the time ticks over.  Most of my energy has been spent in getting ready to pack, shedding clothing and other unused items

Underneath it all has been a burgeoning  anxiety both about the logistics and the expenses, as well as a deep sorrow at leaving my home of the past 15 years - the first place I ever lived completely alone with my cat and my books.  

In short, I have been in a bit of a tizzy and being really hard on myself.  I need to flip that internal narrative to acknowledge the preparation work completed rather than incessantly dwelling on what still awaits attention....

Courtesy of Facebook's memory feature, I know now the very first #theviewfromthebalcony was taken on Friday 07.31.2009.  I've been posting pictures on social media with that hashtag for 15 years now!  


One thing jumps out at me right away - the SEARS store and the auto center were both open, altho the former was not very busy.   When I moved in, I didn't know how I was going to feel facing a parking lot, but over the years, I found I looked more to the horizon than at the shopping center, altho watching the cars swarm the grocery store near holidays and when snow was forecast proved entertaining.

And,  almost exactly 15 years later, the very first view from the new balcony taken on Saturday, 08.03.2024:


On the left is the balcony as seen from inside the apartment.  On the right is the view that I have.  The buildings seen through the foliage is Columbia Mall, specifically, Nordstroms and their parking lot.   It is a lovely private area, but oh how I'm going to miss that vista from the 20th floor that I have enjoyed for 20 years!

M-31 days and counting....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 296 - just another Monday