sleepless nights

 Today is the 1st day of the 30th week, the 21st day of the 7th month, the 203rd day of 2024, and:

  • Anne Hutchinson Day
  • Invite an Alien to Live with You Day
  • Lake Superior Day
  • Legal Drinking Age Day
  • Lowest Recorded Temperature Day - -89.2°C (-128.6°F) at Vostok Station in Antarctica on July 21, 1983
  • National Be Someone Day
  • National Ice Cream Day
  • National Junk Food Day
  • National Lamington Day
  • National Tug-of-War Tournament Day
  • No Pet Store Puppies Day - buying any pet from one of those ubiquitous mall pet stores is just not a good idea 
  • Take a Monkey to Lunch Day - altho it celebrates primates, the original purpose of the day was to commemorate the Scopes Monkey Trial which concluded on this day 99 years ago
  • the Moon is full as of 6:19 AM EDT - the Buck Moon, AKA Thunder Moon; the Hay or Mead Moon; Guru Purnima; Asalha Puja (aka Dharma Day or Esala Poya); and the start of Vassa.
  • and Voyager I is

Quote of the day:
No civilized person goes to bed the same day he gets up.”
~ Richard Harding Davis, American journalist and writer of fiction and drama, known foremost as the first American war correspondent to cover the Spanish–American War, the Second Boer War, and World War I.


Sleep eludes me these days

As I am still working, I tend to go to bed between 9 PM and 10 PM, and get up between 5 AM and 6 AM [depending on whether or not I have to go into the office or can work from home].  Although I try to sleep in on the weekends,  I'm usually up by 8 AM and I find myself laying down around the same time.

But these past few weeks?  I either find myself listening to my audio book for over an hour when trying to get to sleep, and I find myself up and wandering about in the wee hours trying to shut off down the litany of lists that running through my head.  Sometimes I lay there and listen to a book, sometimes I turn on music, once in a while I click on the TV, and sometimes I get up and wander about online

There is little doubt that being unable to sleep soundly is adding to my sense of fatigue and anxiety.  I really do need to find the off switch for my brain, to be able to shut down the endless scrolling of "what ifs" that echo inside my cranium.

May we all sleep well and have pleasant dreams!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 296 - just another Monday

In exactly one month