Springing into action [maybe]

 Today is the 4th day of the 12th week, the 20th day of the 3rd month, the 80th day of 2024, and:

  • Alien Abduction Day - started in 2008 at the Toronto Alien Festival
  • Atheist Pride Day
  • Bed-in For Peace Day - do you remember the publicity that John and Yoko got?
  • Bibliomania Day
  • Crawfish Cravers Awareness Day
  • French Language Day 
  • Great American Meatout
  • Hufflepuff Pride Day
  • Independence Day - Tunisia from France in 1956
  • International Day of Happiness
  • National Bock Beer Day
  • National Jump Out Day
  • National Kiss Your Fiancée Day
  • National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
  • National Proposal Day
  • National Ravioli Day
  • Naw-Rúz - observed the 1st day of the year in the Baháʼí calendar
  • Snowman Burning Day - I still do a doubletake when something from 1971 is called a tradition!  Somehow it seems to me that something started during my lifetime hasn't been around long enough to deserve that hoary description
  • Small Business Development Day
  • Take Down Tobacco National Day of Action
  • Won't You Be My Neighbor Day
  • World Day of Theater for Children and Young People
  • World Flour Day
  • World Frog Day
  • World Oral Health Day
  • World Sparrow Day
  • and Voyager 1 is 22h 33m 15s of light travel time from Earth

Quote of the day:
"The more you can free yourself from your internalization of the gaze of others, the more liberated you feel."
~  Thanissaro Bhikkhu, “Under Your Skin


Since my direct report is back from her three week trip to India, I scheduled myself for some free time to recuperate from stressing out over doing two jobs, to celebrate that yesterday I finally finished with the last of the 2023 reports, and to get ready for another EOQ.   In addition, with this miserable rash that just won't go away, I thought some down time would be a good idea

Every time I take off, I have this grand scheme of things that I am going to get done.   On the list for these five days before I have to log back in on Monday morning:
  • get those flat boxes tied up
  • move things around in the Disaster Area so I can walk around in there again
  • get started on making the next pile of stuff to shed
It's a big job and I can feel myself getting overwhelmed every time I walk into the room.  My other task is to catch up on the laundry [which is easier to do when I have space in the Disaster Area to put up the drying stand].  And I needed to walk over to the management office and find out what is going on with my HVAC unit.

To date, over the past 2 1/2 months, I have opened six different service requests for repair, and each one was closed without the issue being resolved.  Finally, this last time, someone added a comment that if I had any questions, I had to talk to management.  I wrote to the maintenance supervisor through the portal twice.  I tried calling, but no one picked up the phone and I left a message three times.  So, this morning I went and asked to speak to someone.   The receptionist finally called the maintenance supervisor, who promised to come to my apartment at 11 AM.  He was a little late, but he came. 

The supervisor is new, part of the revolving door that seems to be the maintenance staff these days.   He looked at the unit, excused himself to get a tool and was gone for a while.  When he came back, he had investigated the apartments on the same riser that I am, and their heat was working just fine.    He pointed out that this unit was new, and I told him it was replaced about five years ago.

The upshot?  He is going to call the third party contractor who handles the heat and A/C - either my unit is bad or there is a blockage in the pipe connecting me to the riser [which is what the contractor told me after they installed the unit].  He promised to let me know when they could come in and work on it.  Of course, the real questions are:  [1] will he and management follow up, and [2] will the owner authorize the expense for the repair, especially if the problem in in the pipes.

I managed fine through the winter without it working.  Being on the 20th floor, since heat rises, my entire place is easy to keep warm.  Besides, I like sleeping in a colder room and if it got too bad, I had a space heater.  But I simply cannot manage during the summer without A/C and I am more than a little annoyed that it has taken this degree of pestering the office to even get this far - and there is still no actual resolution of the problem

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies