Valentine's Day or Ash Wednesday?

 Today is the 4th day of the 7th week, the 14th day of the 2nd month, the 45th day of 2024, and:

  • Ash Wednesday
  • Frederick Douglas Day
  • International Book Giving Day
  • International Kissing Day
  • International Quirkyalone Day
  • League of Woman Voters Day
  • Library Lovers Day
  • National Call in Single Day
  • National Cream-filled Chocolates Day
  • National Ferris Wheel Day
  • National Have a Heart Day
  • National Organ Donor Day
  • Pet Theft Awareness Day
  • Race Relations Day
  • Read to Your Child Day
  • Statehood Day for Arizona and Oregon 
  • Valentine's Day
  • World Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Day
  • World Sound Healing Day
  • the moon is at waxing crescent at 30% of full
  • OTD in 1990, sister ship Voyager 1 took its final 38 photos, a portrait of our Solar System. Included in this sequence is the famous 'mote in a sunbeam,' or 'pale blue dot' photo of the Earth, as described by Carl Sagan. At this point, V1 was 5,507,000,000 km or 3,422,000,000 miles from Earth. Turning off the Wide- and Narrow-field cameras saved 11.0W of power...but there were also no further targets to photograph.  Currently Voyager 1 is 22h 34m 24s of light travel time from Earth

Quote of the day:
" I see real love as the most fundamental of our innate capacities, never destroyed no matter what we might have gone through or might yet go through. It may be buried, obscured from view, hard to find, and hard to trust . . . but it is there."
~ Sharon Salzberg, “Real Love

So which will it be?  Will you be indulging?


or starting your Lenten observations?


In a sense, both holidays have to do with "love" but they express in very different ways and have very different expectations

I had a manager once who would always bring roses into the office, and give one to each woman, along with a small box of chocolates because she said that every woman should get flowers and candy on this day.  It has been a very long time since I have had those, unless I get them for myself!  I do dress up in world appropriately, even if I don't have anywhere to go these days or anyone to dance with.

I haven't observed a Holy Day of Obligation since COVID started, but I do try and start online Lenten observations.  Hard to do today with Valentine's Day getting in the way, I will admit.  One just isn't in a solemn frame of mind!

Supposedly the DHC was going to be inspecting my apartment today, but they never showed up.  I was hoping to discuss that non-functioning HVAC unit in my bedroom with them.

As a result of being home today, I will be in the office tomorrow and Friday, showing my "commitment to the company" 

Triscuit is, as usual, completely unconcerned with any holiday or other musings 

May your Wednesday be a good one for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies