Day 29: Gen Z and work

 Today is the 2nd day of the 5th week [and the 5th Monday I might add], the 29th day of the 1st month, the 29th day of 2024 [only 330 shopping days left before Christmas], and:

  • Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day
  • Curmudgeons Day
  • Freethinkers Day
  • Gnocchi Day
  • Kansas Day
  • National Carnation Day
  • National Corn Chip Day
  • National Puzzle Day
  • Seeing Eye Dog Day
  • Thomas Paine Day
  • in the US, the IRS is now accepting tax returns -  just remember it was Trump in 2017 that changed the tax brackets and made sure it would be effective in an election year 
  • the earliest day Fat Thursday can fall
  • and Voyager 1 is 22h 34m 44s of light travel time from Earth 

Quote of the day:
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." 
~  ee cummings - American poet, painter, essayist, author, and playwright


I started off this work week with a piece of good news - bossman declared it another 100% remote work week, cautioning us this would be the last [unless another one of our small office comes down with COVID].  And then I read an article about managers preferring to hire older workers rather than Gen Z.  This was not such good news, even though it makes the job market more accessible for the likes of me, and I started delving into the why's

I had to first remind myself of whom we are speaking when we talk about Gen Z.  They are the ones just coming out of schools or younger, born in 1997 through 2012 [interesting - my oldest granddaughter will be grouped amongst them but my younger one, born two years later, will not].  They are considered the first truly "digital natives" as they have grown up with social media, smart phones,  tablets, computers, and all the other accoutrements of technology and information all of their lives.  The rest of us [Millennials included] are considered "digital immigrants" because we plunged into the environment as it became available.  

What got my attention so thoroughly in the article I cited above was this:  
In a survey of U.S. workers involved in hiring for entry-level positions, ResumeBuilder found 31% of hiring managers said they avoid hiring Gen Zers and would prefer to hire older workers. 

The top reasons include Gen Zers asking for too much money (42%); acting entitled (41%); lacking communication skills (39%); and not being prepared (36%). 

Of the 94% of hiring managers surveyed who said they have interviewed Gen Zers, many noted having experienced Gen Zers acting “inappropriately.”

That could include not dressing appropriately (58%), struggling with eye contact (57%) or using inappropriate language (19%), among other reasons.
That is a pretty sweeping condemnation - and yes, inappropriate behavior during a job interview would eliminate a candidate from my consideration as well, so I am not condemning the managers. But the rest?  I dug around a bit, and found what some interviewers consider "acting entitled" is their focus on benefits and professional growth.  As far as not having communication skills, I can see where a very traditional manager would have problems with texting/messaging, but I personally do not.

So the issue is getting these folks [I am struggling not to call them kids, my age is showing] in the door and all I can suggest is not to turn off the person talking to you when going for a job.  Breezily stating that "our willingness to challenge the status quo" is a strength isn't going to get you in the door if you come into the job interview in flip-flops or chewing gum, or cannot articulate how your KSA [knowledge, skills, abilities] will meet the company's needs.   Dress appropriately [even if you think it old-fashioned] and come prepared if you want the job

It's all about adulting

Of course, no one told me when I was growing up that part of adulting was going to include the Monday Morning Syndrome, or being a cog in the wheel.  Just stick to your guns, Gen Z, when it comes to that life work balance, okay?

Now, could one of you please explain to me why Taylor Swift going to the Raven's game was such a big deal to the GOP?  My only issue with her is that she was rooting for the wrong team....

And as usual?  Triscuit is totally unconcerned with Mondays or any of these reflections

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies