Day 25 - time to howl

 Today is the 5th day of the 4th week, the 25th day of the 1st month, the 25th day of 2024, and:

  • A Room of One's Own Day
  • Burns Supper or Robert Burns Day or Burns Night
  • Clashing Clothes Day
  • Feast of the Conversion of Saint Paul (Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Anglican and Lutheran churches, which concludes the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity)
  • Fluoride Day
  • NASA's Day of remembrance 
  • National Fish Taco Day
  • National Florida Day
  • National Irish Coffee Day
  • National Opposite Day
  • Women's Healthy Weight Day
  • the full Wolf Moon at 12:54 PM EST
  • and Voyager 1 is 22h 34m 46s of light travel time from Earth 

Quote of the day:
"Armageddon is not around the corner.  This is only what the people of violence want us to believe.  The complexity and diversity of the world is the hope for the future."
~   Michael Palin, English actor, comedian, writer, and television presenter 


On this day in 1995, the world almost came to an end.  

In what is known as the Norwegian rocket incident, Russia almost launched a nuclear attack because it misidentified a Norwegian research rocket, launched to study the northern lights, for a US Trident missile.  It turns out that Norway had notified Russia of the launch, but no one told the Russian radar crew manning the watch stations.  

Can you imagine Putin's response to such a missile launching today, with all the tensions stemming from his attack on Ukraine?  It's no wonder the Doomsday Clock is at 90 seconds to midnight.  

Yesterday I was home when pest control came, and I was delighted to find out that he not only put the treatment in the corners of the cabinets, for the first time in years, he sprayed behind the cabinets, under the sink, behind the refrigerator, and behind the stove.  That is the kind of treatments that used to be done every single quarter before the current owners took over,  and I really think that is why we didn't use to have as much of a problem.

I had thought the Sears at White Oak closed many years ago, but apparently it was still open until 2021.  I do know the auto center stayed open for almost a year afterwards, but then it too was closed.  The shopping center is currently owned by Saul Centers.  Like most CRE in the area, it is almost impossible to just search Google and come up with accurate sales information.  I don't understand why, but using the MD website by address doesn't turn up the correct information, and I don't know how to get the tax lot ID number for the property.  It is the same problem I run into when I try to research the Enclave information.  CRE records should be more accessible!  

The pressure to move is getting greater.  I just dread the very thought of having to pack/unpack again to the point where I feel rather ill looking about and contemplating it.  And apartment prices have not come down either in this area or up by Gem and Craig [they would prefer I move closer to them], and if I am going to have to downsize, I want a break rather than pay what I am paying now!  I still have the same requirements for a new abode:
  • in unit washer/dryer - I spent 22 years feeding quarters into machines and dealing with sharing the washer/dryers when I lived in Randallstown.  Never again!
  • wired for high speed internet - absolutely a necessity.  Preferably Verizon as I am very happy with the Fios Gateway.  
  • permit pets - I am not getting rid of Triscuit
  • on-site, easily accessible storage [or maybe an extra room] - I know the Disaster Area needs must go away, and that I have to get rid of a lot, but I need a place for such things as my Christmas decorations and supplies like cat food, litter, water, toilet paper, and momentos. 
  • designated, covered parking - as long as I am driving, especially when I have to come into the office
  • and preferably in unit control over the heating and A/C 
Apparently wanting these things means that I am looking for "luxury" and that is why the price tag is  so high.  Anyway, my lease is once more up in the fall, so now is the time to start looking about. 

Doomsday scrolling
Moving

It's all quite enough to make one feel like howling, although it is not likely that we will see the full moon hereabouts today or tonight.   

ah well, I am working from home and it is Friday's Eve at least!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies