Day 17 - trying to bounce back

 Today is the 4th day of the 3rd week, the 17th day of the 1st month, the 17th day of 2024, and:

  • Ben Franklin Day
  • Cable Car Day
  • Customer Service Day
  • Ditch New Year's Resolutions Day
  • International Mentoring Day
  • Judgement Day
  • Kid Inventor's Day
  • Museum Selfie Day
  • National Bootlegger's Day
  • National Classy Day
  • National Hot Buttered Rum Day
  • National Hot Heads Chill Day
  • National Rye Whiskey Day
  • Popeye The Sailor Man Day
  • the first quarter of the moon at 10:53PM EST

Quote of the day:
"My life needs editing."
~  Mort Sahi, Canadian-born American comedian, actor, and social satirist


Last Wednesday I went to work as usual.  Everyone but one was in the office and he had called in because his wife was suddenly taken ill with COVID.  I was dragging a bit, as usual when I have to get myself up and out on Wednesday, but otherwise I was fine.  As the day progressed, I started sniffling and then coughing.  "Great," I thought.  I must've caught a cold from my youngest granddaughter while I was over there helping undecorate on Sunday, and reflected how much I had liked not getting colds as much as I used to thanks to wearing a mask in crowded areas.  IT needed to do some updates on my laptop and I left it there since I was due into the office the next day.

I stopped and got gas on the way home, and talked briefly to my friend on the phone.  By the time I got home, all I wanted to do was lay down.  I took NyQuil and went to bed early.

Thursday morning I felt lousy, but made myself get up and shower and start getting ready for work.  It was no use, I really didn't feel well at all.  So, as a matter of caution, I dug out my COVID home tests and took it.   It came up very definitely positive.  "Seriously?" I thought.  I took a second test about an hour later.  Yup, for the the first time I had caught COVID.   And I had probably infected everyone in the office.  I was able to get a 2:45PM televisit with the nurse practitioner, and she prescribed a low dosage of Paxaloid to be taken over the next five days.  My son-in-law drove all the way from Ellicott City to get my prescription [making it to the Walgreens just 10 minutes before the pharmacy closed] and delivered it to me

I was never that violently ill.  Instead I felt - and still feel - weak, tired, congested, light-headed, and achy.  My blood oxygen levels were rather alarmingly low in the first couple days, but never got to 90% [which the NP had said would mean I had to go to the ER], and then have gradually improved.  I haven't been able to eat much though.  

Triscuit has been keeping me company very faithfully, laying right next to me for the most part.

The office?  Bossman closed it for this week.  Unfortunately, my direct report came down just as suddenly with COVID on Monday night, but I haven't heard from anyone else.  Today I will try and go into the office in the afternoon [double masked] to collect and process the mail, and finally pick up my laptop.

Now I am very glad I got all those shots!  This could've been so much worse....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies