Day 10 - thoughts on the future

 Today is the 4th day of the 2nd week, the 10th day of the 1st month, the 10th day of the new year [with only 349 shopping days until Christmas], and:

  • Houseplant Appreciation Day
  • League of Nations Day - 103 years ago today, the League of Nations Covenant automatically came into force after the Treaty of Versailles was ratified by Germany, officially ending WWI. It lasted 26 years until replaced by the United Nations after WWII
  • National Bittersweet Chocolate Day
  • National Cut Your Energy Costs Day
  • National Oysters Rockefeller Day
  • Peculiar People Day
  • Save the Eagles Day - the bird not the team in case you were wondering
  • and Voyager 1 is 22h 34m 42s of light travel time from Earth, or 24,368,000,000 km / 15,141,000,000 miles / 162.89 AU

Quote of the day:
" If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded. "
~  Maya Angelou, an American memoirist, poet, and civil rights activist.


The one thing that I have always said was my goal in life was to "matter".  I've always wanted to make a difference so that when I was gone, there was a Carol-sized hole in the fabric of being.  When I was young and brash, I figured that meant fame.  Perhaps I would write a popular novel.  Perhaps I would do something earthshattering, like save an important person from certain death.  Perhaps I would become an inspired teacher who would help mold the next leader. Fast forwarding seven decades, I have done none of these things.

I have demonstrated and voted.  I have raised two kids, of whom I am very proud, and have two granddaughters.  I have loved and lost.  I have listened to friends and now and then complete strangers, offering acceptance and sympathy.  I worked as another cog in the wheel.  I cared for three rescue cats.

But has my life made a difference?  Do "I" matter?  I need Clarence Odbody or Q to show me, I guess if I am looking for certainty.  But that is a gift not given to many of us, and I doubt I am the only septuagenarian filled with doubts and struggling to accept the role we played in life.  And what comfort do I offer to my single son, who is facing the grim reaper as a quinquagenarian and fighting to stay alive?  

At least using Maya Angelou's yardstick, we can say with confidence we have succeeded, and maybe that will have to be enough to content us.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies