Day 356 - lagniappe

 Today is the 6th day of the 51st week, the 22nd day of the 12th month, the 356th day of 2023 [with only three sleeps between us and Christmas, you had better have your shopping and wrapping done!], and:

  • Abilities Day
  • Be a Lover of Silence Day
  • Dongzhi Festival
  • National Cookie Exchange Day
  • National Date Nut Bread Day
  • and Voyager 1 is 22h 34m 03s of light travel time from Earth

Quote of the day:
" I understand that it's the thought that counts, but receiving money is so great, so if you're in a position to give an employee a bonus, just do that. "
~  Leandra Medine, American author, blogger, and humor writer [who apparently is not at all found of make-up]

In some industries, bonuses are considered part of the yearly compensation, and are usually totally performance based [unless you have some sweetheart contract deal that is,as far too many in the C-suite do].  The management theory behind them is that what you reward and recognize is what you get.  That's why companies went from worrying about STAKEholders [which includes community, customers, employees, and investors] value to exclusively worrying about their shareholders in the past 50 years or so.

After 38 years in community banking, I can tell you that is not what the organizations I have worked with do for their support staff.

The word 'bonus' means something extra, the frosting on the cake as it were.  It is not something that you can expect as your due, it is a gift from senior management and/or the Board of Directors and an acknowledgement of the value you bring to the company.  As a manager, I have had to manage the expectations of my employees, especially in tough years, pointing out that it is a gift, and especially  when the company is not doing well, you don't expect a gift but are pleased and thankful when it arrives.  I should note, that while I have always received cash bonuses that are subject to the regular withholdings, but some employers give other gifts, and they too are taxable.  

Now that I have espoused the correct point of view, I will admit that I am a bit disgruntled with my compensation today.  

For years bossman has given me the same bonus dollar amount, even last year that was a very busy time for us and the company posted its best profit in the 14 years I have been with it.  This year was a rough year, so he cut it by a third.  OTOH I am very grateful that in a bad year we are even getting a bonus.  OTOH...  well I am grousing and feeling rather guilty about it   [see above, these bonuses are gifts, not performance compensation].  And of course, I then looked at my total YTD compensation.  For years bossman has given a 3% pay increase, which was quite welcome in 2019 and 2020, but has significantly put us behind the eight ball when looking at the increase in the cost of living from 2019 to 2023,  Despite a total hourly increase of 12/5% over that period of time, according to the inflation calculators, I am now actually behind by approximately $11,564 ust to keep my pay the same as it was four years ago.

So, why do I stay?  I've had other job offers in the past, complete with titles and salary increases, and haven't budged.  

Welp, I am 73 years old now, working with people I like at a job I know, understand, and am good at.  My co-workers and boss appear to both like and respect me.  I don't have to dress for success or play office politics.  I have a hybrid work schedule, and the office is only a half hour commute away.  The leave benefits are not munificent, but now that I have 15 years in this year, the PTO is about to increase.  

So I have told bossman thank you very much with complete sincerity.  It was a very nice Christmas present.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies