Day 325 - rainy days and Tuesdays

 Today is the 3rd day of the 47th week, the 21st day of the 11th month, the 325th day of 2023, and:

  • Alascattaio Day - about Alaska and humor as they celebrate their mascot 
  • False Confession Day
  • National Cranberry Day
  • National Entrepreneur's Day
  • National Gingerbread Day
  • National Gingerbread Cookie Day
  • National Red Mitten Day
  • National Stuffing Day
  • Pumpkin Pie Day
  • World Hello Day
  • World Television Day

Quote of the day:
"The word tradition stems from the Latin word traditio, which translates to “delivery, surrender, a handing down, a giving up.” Maybe it’s time to realize that surrendering, or letting go, is very much a part of tradition."

Despite there being quite a lot of work to do, no one seems to be actually focused at all this week.  I don't blame the schools for going for half days as neither the students nor the teachers are going to be concentrating.  Many folks have taken off the entire week!

Today the weather outside is miserable - wet and chilly.   I am grateful that I am working from home, but I will admit that I am not at all looking forward to trekking out this evening to go and get my regularly scheduled cut 'n color.  Of late I am not fond of driving at night, and doing so in the rain with all those lights reflecting up off the wet pavement is mistakable, but vanity will prevail

As those who know me, I don't "do" Thanksgiving dinner.  I have in the past handled every other holiday celebration for family and additions, but only cooked for Thanksgiving only three times in my entire life and each one of them ended in disaster of one sort or another.  After Grandmom Hughes died [and oh how I miss those gatherings at her house], Frank and I went out for dinner each year.  After Frank died, my daughter took over.  The menu is the same:  roast Turkey, mashed or sweet potatoes [sometimes in a casserole], green beans [also sometimes in a casserole], sauerkraut, gravy, cranberry sauce, and a desert [sometimes pumpkin pie with a whipped topping].  Getting this all together can take a surprising amount of time and effort!  

The only other regular tradition is watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV in the morning.  Never seen it in person, altho I did get to see the version that Universal in Florida puts on for the holidays, but having the parade on and seeing the REAL Santa arrive has always been the kick-off for the Christmas season for us.  

My granddaughters [ages 10 and 8] have been rather silent on the subject of Santa, so I suspect they have reached the age of disbelief but realize that having Santa bring presents is a good thing overall

Ah, family traditions - definitely they take over during the holiday season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies