Day 301

 Today is the 7th day of the 43rd week, the 28th day of the 10th month, the 301st day of 2023, and:

  • Allantide
  • Champagne Day
  • Childcare Superhero Day
  • Honoring the Nation's Frist Responders Day
  • Hug a Sheep Day
  • International Animation Day
  • Kiwanis One Day
  • Make a Difference Day
  • National Chocolate Day
  • National Internal Medicine Day
  • National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
  • National Trick or Treat Day
  • Pit Bull Awareness Day
  • Plush Animal Lover's Day
  • Separation of Church and State Day
  • St Jude's Feast Day
  • Stature of Liberty Dedication Day
  • Wild Food Day
  • the moon is Full at 4:24 PM EDT  

Quote of the day:
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." 
~ Marshall McLuhan

When I was married to my second husband for ten years, every single summer, vacation meant that we were going to spend two week at Ocean City NJ with his parents in their condo.

Today, when I idly comment that I would like to drive back and see the boardwalk one more time, my son answered me:

"I....  Y'know, I don't think I would. The reality of what it's become would probably soil the happy memories I have of it. The literal theme parks that were so magical as a kid, the minigolf courses that (despite my stepfather's constant bitching at us to be more patient and be serious) were so much fun. The junk food odysseys, full of funnel cake, caramel corn, peanut butter fudge, and everything else unhealthy. The sea breeze and the constant roar of the ocean and squawking of the seagulls fighting over some dropped fries. 

I mean, that was the soundtrack and memories of my younger childhood and summer vacation. And while I KNOW as an adult the place was a slightly run down tourist trap, as a kid, I only remember what I truly loved about the place. How excited I was when they added a water park right on the boardwalk. The "arcade rush" day where I'd get a twenty and could play ANYTHING at that huge Simm's arcade. The smells of cooking food as you walked. Hell, even the occasional early morning to take advantage of the biking hours on the boardwalk.

I even remember the white walled library ya'll insisted on taking my sister and myself to for some local kids events to just chill. The occasional morning walk into the city so Grandma could by a cantaloupe or two fresh. The stupid Sandpiper paper they always insisted on getting. I may have hated crabbing, but I still remember how the condo smelled while they cooked. The pool days and that breathless feel after cleaning up from it, when your internal temp was just a little too low for the pumping AC.

It's all those little things that really made it special. I just...  worry that going back now would tarnish those memories, Y'know? It can NEVER live up to the memories I have, even if it were perfect, and even the glimpse I got in that video made it look like a tourist trap now, full of gaudy signs and cheaply thrown together places. I know it was like that in reality, but because I was so young when I saw it, I only remember it being such a sweet release from schools and local bullies and just the monotony of Poplar Dr. 

Sorry, that last bit sounds a little harsh. It's not meant that way, but more of a comparison from the "normal" to how special getting to Ocean City felt as a kid. I lack the words to properly put it into context."

As a parent, to know that time was so special - that all I did to make it so while my husband sat on the balcony and talked to his father and drank beer because vacation was not a time to be rushing about doing things but was a time to rest and relax - is remembered so fondly when he hasn't been back since he was 12 years old in 1985,  just made my day.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies