Day 287 - rainy days and Saturdays

Today is the 7th day of the 41st week, the 14th day of the 10th month, the 287th day of 2023, and:
  • Be Bald and Be Free Day
  • I Love Yarn Day
  • International African Penguin Awareness Day
  • International Migratory Bird Day
  • National Chess Day
  • National Chocolate-covered Insect Day
  • National Costume Swap Day
  • National Dessert Day
  • National FRUMP Day
  • National Kids Bowl Free Day
  • national lowercase day
  • National Motorcycle Ride Day
  • National Real Sugar Day
  • National Women in Franchising Day
  • Spiderman Day
  • Tender Loving Care Day
  • Universal Music Day
  • Urban Wildlife Conservation Day
  • US Oyster Day
  • World Hospice and Palliative Care Day
  • World Standards Day
  • an annular solar eclipse is visible in some areas, weather permitting
  • the new moon at 1:55 PM EDT
  • and Voyager 1 is 22h 25m 46s of light travel time from Earth

Quote of the day:
"It doesn’t matter what the contents of the moment are; each moment is absolute. That’s all there is, and all there ever will be. If we could totally pay attention, we would never be upset."
~ Charlotte Joko Beck, “Attention Means Attention

When did it happen?  

Weekends were for DOING things.  There were craft shows and flea markets, there were movies, there was shopping, there were visits with friends and family, there was theater.  I would get up early so as to be there when the event opened, and either eat breakfast there or afterwards.  I blithely ignored the demands of cleaning and laundry, there were things to do and places to go.  I even took jaunts out of town, staying overnight!  The time sped by all too quickly, and home was somewhere you came to sleep and get ready for the next adventure.

Now?  Weekends are for being lazy, for resting and recuperating from the workaday world, with the exception of chores.  I am slow to make plans.  I'm not sure exactly when that change happened either.  Of course, being shut in for a couple of years by the pandemic reinforced this tendency to stay home, to find things to do right here, and still the time speeds by all too quickly.

I got to thinking about this when talking to my coworker, who was commenting how bored her mother was at home, complaining daily that now her card club had broken up [people moved, or died], she had nothing to do anymore.  And I looked around and thought of all the things I do about my apartment and how I spend my days when I am home alone, how much slower my pace of life has become.  I remembered with amusement the first time I stayed in my apartment for three whole days over the President's Day weekend one February when Frank was not feeling well - I was going stir crazy and couldn't wait to head back to work that Tuesday morning!  Obviously something very basic had changed, and I didn't even notice when it happened.

Enjoy your day, however you chose to spend it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies