Day 269 - rainy days and Tuesdays

 Today is the 3rd day of the 39th week, the 26th day of the 9th month in the 3rd quarter, the 269th day of 2023 [with only 89 shopping days left until Christmas (since I forgot to mention the 90 mark yesterday)], and:

  • European Day of Languages
  • Forget-Me-Not Day
  • Human Resource Professional Day
  • International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons - to me, the most horrifying fact about the US testing of the first atom bomb was that they thought there was a possibility it would set the air on fire and destroy all life on earth, and did it anyway
  • Johnny Appleseed Day
  • Lumberjack Day
  • Mawlid al- Nabi  - starts at sundown today
  • Mesothelioma Awareness Day
  • National Better Breakfast Day
  • National Compliance Officer Day
  • National Dumpling Day
  • National Good Neighbor Day
  • National Pancake Day
  • National Situational Awareness Day
  • Petrov Day - in 1983, one man prevented a total disaster by realizing an early warning system had malfunctioned 
  • Shamu the Whale Day
  • The Last of Us Day - used to be 'called Outbreak Day' until COVID hit
  • World Body Painting Days
  • World contraception Day

Quote of the day:
"The past always looks better than it was.  It's only pleasant because it isn't here."
~ Finley Peter Dunne, American humorist, journalist, and writer from Chicago

If Tuesday was a conscious being,  what an inferiority complex it would develop!  But it does mean that we survived Monday and am one step closer to the next weekend, neh?

At least those born on this day are seen as being "full of grace".  My son was born on a Saturday - and yes, he has worked hard for a living, sometimes under very difficult circumstances.  My daughter was born on a Thursday, but I'm not sure she has gone further than the rest of the family.  Me?  I was born on Palm Sunday, and am none of the things described.  

So today's story about the office is the riddle of the missing loan policy. 

You see, bossman has a habit of saving things in different folders so that you can find different versions of the same document in different places.  So I set up a folder system where we would save the last approved loan policy in a folder called [gasp] Policies and Procedures/Policy.   Boxxman, however, keeps the lastest loan policy in the BOD folder, tucked away in the last year/quarter meeting folder where  he was last working on it.  When asked as to where the latest approved copy was, he expressed astonishment that we didn't know this, and pointed out that he started saving it there to keep different versions from being circulated and the credit person should so inform all the staff [all seven of us] of the fact after the Thursday sales meeting is completed.  

And you wonder why those of us who have worked in knowledge management say that small businesses need to have that skill set just as much as large organizations.   Where is the ROI, you ask?  Well return on investment is a pretty difficult thing to prove, but the time and energy involved in making sure the records we give the unholy trinity of auditors/regulators/examiners surely should count for something!  

Once again I am having an issue with a 90-day prescription at the local Walgreens, altho the store continues to advertise that they will fill these.   They shorted me on the long-term insulin [giving 45 doses instead of 75], and now say the insurance will not permit the remaining 30 doses until I use up the ones I have.   Now the problem is the sensor - I had called them and asked if they would be able to give me all six boxes [each box holds one and lasts for two weeks] and they said they would, but the current sensor runs out on Friday and the order is once again delayed.   This means I will have to get a partial and that means they will cancel the order for the remainder again.  In all the years I have lived here, I have used this pharmacy and the issues are new.  The pharmacist shocked me when she suggested that if I was not satisfied with not getting 90-day supplies, I might have to go elsewhere.  This is their second strike - one more and that is what I will do.  But where?  The only other one nearby is the Giant Pharmacy and I stopped using them because they never let me know when the medication was in.  Express Scripts is CIGNAs preferred provider [mail order only], and I rely on them for the pills, but delivering insulin that has to be refrigerated?  I had delivery issues the one time that I tried it.    Getting medication just shouldn't be this hard!  And I live in an urban area, just imagine those how those who are in more rural locations fare?  

And last but not least, we are in the midst of the annual game of "when will they turn on the heat?"   This is much easier to take than the conversion from heat to A/C every spring, as I have space heaters I can fire up if the apartment gets too chilly.  But after five straight days of chilly, wet weather, and no mention from management of when we can expect heat, I will admit to being a bit annoyed.  

Ah well, at least it's not Monday....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies