Day 258: it's Friday and payday and gorgeous weather

 Today is the 6th day of the 37th week, the 15 h day of the 9th month, the 258th day of 2023 [and this is getting serious now, only 100 shopping days until Christmas], and:

  • Butterscotch Cinnamon Pie Day
  • Google.com Day - the date the domain name was registered back in 1997
  • Greenpeace Day
  • Independence Day - the Act of Independence of Central America in 1821 executed by Spain formed Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica 
  • International Day of Democracy
  • International Day of Listening
  • International Dot Day - celebrated on this day since 2009, based on 'The Dot' by Peter H Reynolds 
  • International Grenache Day - in honor of the most widely planted red wine grape 
  • LGBT Center Awareness Day
  • Make a Hat Day
  • National 8-Track Tape Day - sometimes celebrated on April 11th 
  • National Caregivers Day
  • National Cheese Toast Day
  • National Concussion Awareness Day
  • National Creme de Menthe Day 
  • National Day of the Cowgirl
  • National Doodle Day
  • National Double Cheeseburger Day
  • National Felt Hat Day
  • National Linguine Day
  • National NeoNatal Nurses Day
  • National Online Learning Day
  • National POW/MIA Recognition Day
  • National Tackle Kids Cancer Day
  • National Thank You Day
  • National Tradesmen Day
  • Rosh Hashanahs starts at sundown today 
  • Someday - procrastinators take note, today is the 'some day' you have been waiting for!
  • World Afro Day
  • World Lymphoma Awareness Day
  • and Voyager1 is 22h 20m 17s of light travel time from Earth 

Quote of the day:
"When things are taking their ordinary course, it is hard to remember what matters."
~  Marilynne Robinson,  Gilead

It is a lovely day!  After days of record-breaking heat and humidity, the hurricane winds out off the coast are dragging down cool dry air, and it finally feels like fall is in the air.

Today is payday!  That's always good news.  Of course, it is always rather stunning to realize that what they say they pay me and what I bring home is much less than that....  [ who is FICA and why are they taking my money?  that was such a funny commercial but I couldn't find it online]

And I am working from home today.  The music is playing, the windows are open, Triscuit is being affectionate.  

But there are a couple of problems I have to deal with:

In the ongoing saga of trying to get the correct prescription,   I call the pharmacy and explain very patiently that my Levemir insulin prescription was shorted - I only received 45 units instead of the 75 ordered.  No worries the pharmacist says, they only gave me the smaller shipment because the remaining units are on back order and they don't know when they will be delivered  Then I get a message that the insurance was turned down for the 30 units because it is "too soon" to order.   We'll see how they deal with the insurance when the pens actually come in.  The cost just for this smaller quantity is over $1,110, so this is rather important.  And I asked about the sensors - according to the auto-renew, new sensors cannot be ordered until next week, but I just used the last one I have and that means they will have only a week to fill the prescription.   I cannot help but wonder what happens to those who are unable to advocate so actively for themselves?  I hate our medical system!!! 

Over the past three weeks, apparently three separate shipments have gone astray.  The vendors claim they have been delivered, but the shipping company has not provided proof of delivery.  The items were not in the lockers, were not in my mailbox [understandable in two cases as the box was probably too large], and I confirmed they were not at the management office yesterday afternoon.    One item I am willing to let go because it was supposedly a "free" addon to an order that showed up.  The other two were gifts and real money is involved so those emails are written, but I have little hope of being able to prevail on them to accept responsibility for delivery and either give me a refund or send a replacement.   We have an issue with some of those who are delivering packages ignoring the instructions [which tell them how to get a code for the HUB or deliver to the management office] and just throwing them on the floor next to the HUB or in the mailroom, and then those items get stolen.   I may have to start having items delivered to the office, but I really don't want to do that.  

And last, according to Vacines.gov,  the new COVID shot is not available yet in my area, but I tried! So

So, what do I have planned for this lovely weekend?

Well I could go to the Maryland Renaissance Festival - the weather will be picture perfect [and it is Celtic weekend and it is going to be mobbed].  If I wanted to try and drive a bit, I could go to an alpaca farm [ugh, Earlsville is further away than I thought}.  I could spend $65 and to go the Carroll County Maryland Wine Festival [I don't think I can drink enough wine to make that worthwhile and then drive home].  Or, I could go over my daughter's and just take my granddaughters to get a Soft Stuff ice cream and go to the park.  

But I haven't got any of these things planned, lacking the energy I need.  This is the time of year I miss the craft shows that used to be so common, especially Sugarloaf, every weekend and this is the kind of weather that makes me impatient with feeling so worn out and breathless all the time.   

So I am going to spend my weekend relaxing, enjoying being able to open my windows and sit on my balcony.  Tonight I will join my son and his roommate for a quest in Baldurs Gate 3 - it's a fun way to spend time with him.  This weekend Diablo III is kicking off a new season, and this one is special as it is designed for those of us who like solo play.  And I need to bring fall to Nowhereville in world - that takes a lot of time to make the switch over and I am not available to do so next weekend, but I haven't warned the tenants that it is coming yet [quickly writes email to give folks a heads up].

Sounds like a plan, neh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies