Day 227 - in the office alone

 Today is the 3rd day of the 33rd week, the 15th day of the 8th month, the 227th day of 2023, and:

  • Assumption of Mary - a feast day and a holy day of obligation for Roman Catholics that is a public holiday as well in 33 countries 
  • Chant at the Moon Day - pretty hard to do when it is only 1% of a waning crescent today, even if there isn't any cloud cover
  • Chauvin Day
  • Green Data Day
  • I love Cowboys and Cowgirls Day
  • Independence Day - Korea from Japan in 1945 and the Republic of the Congo from France in 1960
  • Mom's Equal Pay Day
  • National Acadian Day
  • National Best Friends Day
  • National Check the Chip Day
  • National Failures Day - found by Jack Gilbert [an American poet] forty years ago 
  • National Leathercraft Day
  • National Lemon Meringue Pie Day
  • National No SpongeBob Day
  • National Relaxation Day
  • National Thrift Shop Day
  • and Voyager 1 is 22h 14m 15s of light travel time from Earth 
Quote of the day:
"Happiness is not a goal, it is a by-product"
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Bossman was not happy with me when I left Wednesday to return home, and I handled the situation poorly. Managing up is an art, and I am not terribly good at it, never have been.  It doesn't help that I have been the most outspoken opponent of returning to the office despite his repeated concerns.  Bossman feels that he isn't "getting his money's worth" out of people working remotely because then they take PTO too - and apparently that is a mindset that I cannot address effectively.  Another concern he has about "getting his money's worth" is the BOD perceiving the office space is not being utilized everyday.

As recompense for last Wednesday, I told bossman that I would be in the office today.  It is usually my direct report's day to be here, but she is working from home on Tuesdays because her son is not in school.  Today, it turns out, Loan Servicing is the only department that is in the office as Credit and Sales both have other things to do and are working remotely.  And since bossman isn't in the office on Tuesdays, I doubt very much their absence will even be noted.  

I've been reading too much news today and I am feeling all out of phase and disgruntled with life in general, both personally and professionally I feel like a failure.  

Obviously I need a reset, sooner rather than later.  Can't get to WDW on a whim, so I'm falling back on immersion in one of my 2nd lives.  Now to decide whether it will be film or gaming or in world or reading?

See you on the other side!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies