Day 202 - what's wrong?

 Today is the 6th day of the 29th week, the 21st day of the 7th month, the 202nd day of this insane babbling experiment, and:

  • Celebration of The Horse Day
  • Invite an Alien to Live with You Day
  • Legal Drinking Age Day - the national minimum was set in 1984, saying you had to be 21 years of age to buy booze.  You can buy a gun, drive, get married, sign contracts, and vote well before being trusted with alcohol....
  • Lowest Recorded Temperature Day - a frigid -128.6°F [or -89.2°C] in Vostok Antarctica in 1963
  • National Be Someone Day
  • National Junk Food Day
  • National Lamington Day
  • National Pajama Day
  • National Tug-of-War Tournament Day
  • No Pet Store Puppies Day
  • Park and Recreation Professionals Day
  • Take a Monkey to Lunch Day and be prepared to chow down on fruits, leaves, nuts, flowers, vegetables, and insects.  
Quote of the day:


I don't know, when I think back on the days of my youth, life sure seemed a lot less complicated...   Well except for the family dysfunctions.  Oh, and the social dilemmas posed by trying to fit in.  And there was the angst over trying to work as many hours as possible while going to school so I could afford to go to school.  Of course, there was the inevitable heartburning and breaks.  And don't forget the scholastic pressures and deadlines!  But aside from all that?  I knew exactly what I wanted:  I wanted to make a difference and be remembered, to matter.  And I knew exactly what I didn't want:  I didn't want to be a cog in the wheel [really pissed my mother off with that statement even tho I didn't add 'like you' the first time around at least].  All this, and I was going to live to be a hundred,

Dial forward five or six decades and things aren't so clear when I go back and look at the choices I made.  I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm never going to be, or participate in, one of those events that are seen in retrospect to be a moment of change.  And I have spent my entire working career being pretty much as thoroughly a cog in the wheel as one can be - the only time anyone takes notice of Loan Servicing is when something goes wrong, otherwise we are invisible.   Have I achieved clarity or just given up? 

*shakes head*

I'm shelving the serious reflections and chilling out for what is left of this day off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies