Day 192 - day two of three in the office

 Today is the 3rd day of the 28th week, the 11th day of the 7th month, the 192nd day of 2023, and:

  • 7-11 Day - AKA free slurpee day at participating stores
  • All American Pet Photo Day
  • Bowdier's Day - if the GOP knew about this one, they would definitely be celebrating it, especially in Florida!
  • Cow Appreciation Day
  • Day of the Five Billion [the world population hit this mark back in 1987, and new records are set each year]
  • International Sister Cities Day
  • Make Your Own Sundae Day
  • National Blueberry Muffin Day
  • National Cheer Up the Lonely Day
  • National Mojito Day
  • National Rainier Cherry Day
  • National Swimming Pool Day
  • World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day
  • World Population Day
  • the first day of Naadam 
  • and Voyager 1 is 22h 08m 24s of light travel time from Earth

Quote of the day:
"The pen is the tongue of the mind."  
~ Horace

I read a lot of blog posts, aggregating them via Newsblur these days.  I started out putting links on my personal page in CeoExpress [of which I am a charter subscriber and where I previously blogged], then used Google Reader until that was taken away.  What I was interested in was information and differing viewpoints.  Some blogs are more opinionated than others, but I don't gravitate towards them unless I find them entertaining.  I try to read writers that I do not agree with to avoid an echo chamber, but I'm not sure how successful I am at that because I grow impatient with what I perceive as actual stupidity!  For example, one very right-wing blogger fell off my list because of his insistence the Biden family was actually a criminal enterprise was so strong that he referred to it every single post.

So, at some point, I decided to join in the fun myself.

When I started blogging,  at first I just babbled.  It was kinda like writing a letter to a penpal - just talking about stuff happening every day whether it was in my real life or in my 2nd lives.  When I was maintaining the Wiki sight, I was doing research on different news and regulatory and/or compliance issues and posting information for anyone in financial services.  At the same time, I was actively posting and writing about knowledge management, specifically 'stealth KM', which I felt and still feel is a vital organizational skill and started speaking about back in the 1990's.  [Obviously I should've written a book]
 
There are times when I have chosen to use this medium as a soapbox to express rather forcibly my personal understanding of things, whether it be politics or culture or a burning personal issue [such as the state of my HVAC or parking wars], but I don't think that is the mainstay of my posts.  And when I read advice about how to increase readership, or even monetize my scribbles, I realize that in order to create regular essays, I would need to define the blog even as I defined the defunct Wiki.  I don't feel the need to do that at this point - perhaps someday when I have more hours in the day to devote to writing and research, I will return to that kind of focus, but for now?  I'm just letting the words flow and taking my readers along with my varied candid reflections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies