Day 141 - Monday is back

Today is the 2nd day of the 21st week, the 22nd day of the 5th month, the 141st day of 2023 [with only 216 shopping days until Christmas], and
Quote of the day:
"The act of writing requires a constant plunging back into the shadow of the past where time hovers ghostlike."

And here we are, another Monday morning, and trying to figure out just where the weekend went.  

I'm not as glum as usual - it's the final workaday Monday for May, and it's going to be a short work week for me as I am taking off Thursday and Friday, making the Memorial Day weekend even longer 

Construction update:

Well they were at it first thing in the morning!  Hosed down the parking area and broke out the jackhammers and went to work.  No sleeping in for the tenants in the lower apartments, and I have to keep the balcony door closed despite the rising temperatures.  The noise at street level must be deafening!  And I sure hope those workers have good ear protections on....


Echoes of the past ringing in my head....

Today marks the 14th anniversary of my employment here.  I had been unemployed and increasingly disturbed as the recession deepened in this area and unemployment started to skyrocket, and found myself in the enviable position of having a choice of job offers!  I chose the one that seemed less lucrative, and definitely made the right choice

As I read about layoffs, particularly in the tech industry, I often reflect how fortunate I was to have my health insurance not tied to my current place of employment.  Frank had made provisions when he retired that we didn't think much about at the time and that safety net has given me a lot of peace of mind through the years.  Granted I still have the same issues that everyone else has with cost and coverage but at least I don't have the concern of being uninsured if I lose or leave my job.

Ah, Sherlock!  I have considered myself a Baker Street Irregular since the 3rd grade, when I discovered and read 'The Adventure of the Speckled Band' in my reader while I was supposed to be paying attention to what was being read out loud by different students in the classroom.  After finding out how much Doyle hated that Holmes had so thoroughly overshadowed his other works, I even read them and have rather fond, if hazy, memories of 'The White Company'.  But it is Holmes that I pursue through every possible medium and interpretation that I can find, as well as all of the Watson imitators.  

Given my history with not fitting in with with the "norm", especially in my school days, I always find this celebration of the importance of being unabashedly yourself very ironic, and I view it with skepticism.  In the cultures I have studied, there are very few that have celebrated those who are different, as every vocal agnostic, gypsy, or transgender person can tell you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies