Day 139 - got one of them thar cures for what ails ye?

 Today is the 7th day of the 20th week, the 20th day of the 5th month, the 139th day of 2023, and:

  • Armed Forces Day
  • Be a Millionaire Day - what would make you feel on top of the world and like a million bucks?
  • Culture Freedom Day
  • Do Dah Day - and here I was thinking it had something to do with one of the most memorable songs from Disney's abandoned 'Song of the South'
  • Eliza Doolittle Day - every single song in this musical was a gem.  I wish I could've seen Julie Andrews bringing that role to life on Broadway!
  • Everybody Draw Mohammed Day
  • Flower Day
  • Independence Day - East Timor from Indonesia in 2002
  • International Clinical Trials Day
  • International Human Resources Day
  • International Red Sneakers Day - I think the last time I had a pair of red tennis shoes I was pretty young and they were PF Flyers.  I really wanted those shoes and I can still hear the TV commercial jingle in my head:  "Run faster, jump higher....  always buy PF flyer!"
  • National Learn to Swim Day - both of my kids could swim like fish whereas I am content to doggie paddle and float on my back.  To my surprise, neither of my granddaughters are the slightest bit interested in learning to swim, and both are rather indignant at Grandmom's refusal to take them to the apartment pool because they cannot. 
  • Josephine Baker Day - An American born French dancer, singer, and actress who was the first black woman to star in a major motion picture
  • National Psychometrist Day
  • National Quiche Lorraine Day
  • National Rescue Dog Day
  • National River Cleanup Day
  • National Streaming Day
  • National Sugarbee Apple Day
  • Pick Strawberries Day
  • Plant a Lemon Treed Day
  • Preakness Stakes - I'm rather surprised we haven't heard more ballyhoo about the fact this is the 150th year of the race.  I only went to the infield party once during college, back when it was dirt cheap and not that mobbed, but that has become a lot more expensive and one huge party these days
  • Weights and Measures Day
  • World Autoimmune/Autoinflammatory Arthritis Day
  • World Bee Day
  • World Fiddle Day -  just a note that a fiddle and a violin are the exact same instrument, it's just what you are playing that makes a difference.  One of my favorite memories is watching the shocked looks my 8th grade son got from others when he was warming up for the MD State Orchestra tryouts by playing a rousing rendition of 'Turkey In The Straw'  because he wanted to limber up and relax.  He made first chair, first violin.
  • World Metrology Day
  • World Whiskey Day
  • In China, May 20 is observed as a celebration of romantic love, because the digits 520 (Chinese: 五二零; pinyin: wǔ èr líng) sound similar to "I love you" (Chinese: 我爱你; pinyin: wǒ ài nǐ), and it is an important day for romantic gift-giving
Quote of the day:
"I never wanted to be a millionaire.  I just wanted to live like one.
~ Walter Hagen, American professional golfer

When was the last time I jumped out of bed, feeling just grand about myself and the world around me, feeling like a million bucks?  This question has troubled me since I asked it.  When was the last time I was without those worries about my family?  When was the last time I didn't think about my body when getting up or walking or sometimes even breathing?  When was the last time I could simply let my mind wander without worrying about politics, money, and the future?

And I swore and swore and vowed and promised and told myself that I would never ever get old.  Seems like I've managed not to grow up, or act my age, I haven't managed not to go and get old despite my best intentions.  Now I finally understand why folks fall for all those nostrums promising to restore your youthful vigor and I'll have to be on the look out for snake oil salesmen....

Of course, if you happen to run across an internet site showing the whereabouts of the Fountain of Youth, let me know, neh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies