Day 115

 Today is the 3rd day of the 17th week,  the 25th day of the 4th month, the 115th day of 2023, and:

  • Anzac Day
  • DNA Day
  • East Meets West Day [AKA Elbe Day]
  • Hairstylists Appreciation Day
  • International Financial Independence Awareness Day
  • License Plates Day - New York state passed a law in 1901 requiring a license plate on all vehicles, and other states rapidly followed and within a year, the number of issued plates was up to 1,566
  • National Crayola Day - different from March's Crayon Day, this celebrates the company's 120th birthday
  • National Hug a Plumber Day
  • National Library Workers Day
  • National Mani-Pedi Day
  • National Telephone Day
  • National Zucchini Bread Day
  • Parental Alienation Awareness Day
  • Red Hat Society Day
  • School Bus Drivers' Day
  • World Malaria Day
  • World Penguin Day
Quote of the day:
"We must not allow other people's limited perceptions to define us"
~ Virginia Satir, American author and psychotherapist

Let's just say that by noon today, I was thinking it had been a very long week....

There is no right way to grieve and no rules about what makes you sorrow.  Of late there just seems to be a lot piling into my life - not so much that everything is bad, and there are always silver linings in the clouds, but just an overall sense that things have gone awry.  It is a malaise I hear echoed around me, and I am not sure how to keep it from darkening the spirit.  

Maybe I'm being too hard on myself, but when I compare my level of activity at 73 to that of, oh let's say Joe Biden who is a decade older and hopping on/off planes as well as running a country, I am left scratching my head.   My energy levels seem to be at an all-time low these days and my emotional bandwidth is clogged up as I try to reach out and support others who's needs are so much greater than mine at the moment

And yes, along with that goes a generous dollop of beating myself up and I have to give myself a stern talking to - and that isn't terribly helpful either!  

Times like this I take comfort in the fact that life is all about change.  Just like this whiplash weather we have been enjoying, bouncing from 90° days to a freeze warning, one just has to wait and things will shift around and become different.  But I'll admit, I do wonder if there will ever be a time when I don't feel like I am spending my life "hanging in there"....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies