Day 105 - all gone vacation

Today is the 7th day of the 15th week, the 15th day of the 4th month, the 105th day of 2023

And the PTO is over.

Quote of the day:
"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"/ Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." 
-  Charlie Brown, as written by Charles M. Schulz in 'Peanuts"

My son returned to his home in Nashville today after flying in Tuesday evening.  What did we do the three days we had him with us?

DO?  I guess it depends on your definition of "do".  Did we go anywhere?  nope  Did we eat out?  nope  So what did we DO?

We talked.

Yup, the three of us sat around and talked.  My daughter on extreme pain meds and usually semi-bedridden on the sofa.  My son in the midst of his second round of chemo treatments, bald and wobbly, in the lounger.  Mom, struggling with her inflammation of the lungs on the chair.  And OMG, did we talk!

We laughed.  We dug up family skeletons and sometimes cried.  We remembered people long gone.  We talked about things happening now in our lives.  They compared cancer treatments and talked aftereffects, like brain fog.  We mourned the lost life that cancer took; we celebrated the life that was left.  We argued politics, discussed religions beliefs, worried about the future.  We talked about their fathers.  My son agreed his father is not a bad person, but he is completely convinced he is always the smartest person in the room and living with him was totally chaotic.  We were only married 1 1 1/2 years - having a baby didn't make him one bit more fiscally responsible.  My son is in sporadic email correspondence with his father.   Both my daughter and my son agreed her father was the most self-righteous man, rigorism personified, we know.  I was married to him for 10 years, and the cost of leaving him was to leave my daughter behind.  She and he no longer speak, he has apparently disowned her.  Each of us found out something that we didn't know, each of us ended up sharing somethings we never had shared before.

We ate Starbucks for breakfast, with Japanese or Chinese food for an early supper.  The girls were at school, my son-in-law at work, and when they came home they went off to do extra activities.  I got over there around 10 AM and would leave around 7 PM, before dark

This morning I picked him up at 9 AM, and took him to the airport.  We were all fighting tears saying goodbye.  He said he had enjoyed our visit, we said we loved having him with us.  He promised to come home again....  if he can.

If.  he.  can.

Fuck cancer!


A picture of our avatars in SL from October 2007 when we ran into each other while shopping in world and promptly stood around chatting instead

Left:  Madison Carnot [my daughter]
Middle:  beladona Memorial [me]
Right:  Tasha Polecat [my son]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies