Day 89 - Thursday's and EOQ eve

Today is the 5th day of the 13th week, the 30th day of the 3rd month, the 89th day of 2023, and:

  • Grass is Always Browner on the Other Side of the Fence Day - this day doesn't have a sponsor, so you have to wonder how it became widely accepted?
  • International Laundry Folding Day
  • National Doctors Day
  • National I am in Control Day (( sounds like wishful thinking to me because I never feel like I am )) - apparently this is anniversary of the attempted assassination of Reagan in 1981 when the current Secretary of State Alexander Haig announced to the press that he was "in control".   
  • National Virtual Vacation Day - altho they are promoting VR, for those of us who live second lives in their imagination through books, games, and in worlds, there is always a way to get away from this so-called "real life"
  • Pencil Day - despite being a writing instrument for centuries, the first patent for a pencil with an attached eraser was granted in 1858
  • Take a Walk in the Park Day
  • Torrents Day - apparently there is a flourishing community that shares files via the BitTorrent network
  • Turkey Neck Soup Day - as with all food related "days", I wonder how many fans this concoction actually has
  • World Bipolar Day
Today the Essay Camp defined what differentiated an essay from other kinds of writing - and the definition was every bit as fuzzy as  my understanding of that literary genre.  Basically?  Like a narrative, there is a beginning, middle, and definite end/conclusion.  It is an intellectual exercise in that the writer often introduces two seemingly disparate threads of thought, then braids them together. 

*scratches head*  still sounds more like those school papers we had to write that I don't miss one bit and that I am sure my teachers and profs didn't particularly enjoy wading through.  And yet, I have found the essay examples provided, pulled from different sources, are entertaining, for the most part.  

Guess there is no magic formula for writing - I am in control of how I present my blog and I can use it as a vacation-of-the-mind distraction for both you and me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies