Day 79 - winter's last gasp

Today is the 2nd day of the 12th week, the 20th day of the 3rd month, the 79th day of 2023, and:
  • Act Happy Day
  • Alien Abduction Day
  • Atheist Pride Day
  • Bed-in For Peace - John and Yoko seem to have thought this would make a difference if they sat in bed for a week, holding court for the press every day from 9AM - 9 PM
  • Bibliomania Day
  • Crawfish Cravers Awareness Day
  • Feast of Saint Joseph - on or about the 19th or 20th, the swallows return to Capistrano 
  • French Language Day - declared by the UN, AKA International Francophonie Day
  • Great American Meat Out
  • Hufflepuff Pride Day
  • Independence day - Tunisia from France in 1956
  • International Astrology Day
  • International Day of Happiness
  • International Day of Nowruz AKA the Iranian or Persian New Year -  observed on the first day of spring since 2010
  • International Earth Day
  • National Bock Beer Day
  • National Jump Out! Day
  • National Kiss Your FiancĂ© Day
  • National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
  • National Ravioli Day
  • National Wellderly Day
  • Ostara
  • Proposal Day
  • Snowman Burning
  • The First Day of Spring - well tomorrow is the first full day as the earth doesn't reach the vernal equinox until 5:24 PM.  And if you are expecting the day to equal the night exactly, you are slated for disappointment.    
  • Won't You Be My Neighbor Day
  • World Day of Theater for Children and Young People
  • World Flour Day
  • World Frog Day
  •  World Sparrow Day
  • World Storytelling Day
Quote of the day:
"Do not look back. And do not dream about the future, either...Your duty, your reward—your destiny—are here and now." 
~  Dag Hammarskjold , Markings

Today dawn was clear and the air was brisk - it was a lovely sunrise and the only real issue is that it is Monday morning - the day when we all realize that just two days of time off work isn't long enough to get everything  done that you wanted to do, much less be able to rest.  Or maybe the time actually seemed longer when I was younger, but altho I always dragged myself back to the workaday world, I don't actually remember the constant feeling that Saturday and Sunday just faded away before I could actually grasp them. 

I have, however, always opted to procrastinate on chores in favor of entertainment on weekends, even tho these days, my entertainment seems to be mainly reading or wandering about online / playing games rather than the craft shows et al that occupied me before COVID upended the world  

Maybe the issue really is that as I look forward I see fewer days ahead than are behind me, and I am starting to subconsciously resent spending over 70% of my time devoted to trying to make a living VS actually living.  Of course, I also spend more time sleeping on my days off, sometimes napping for two hours in the afternoon as well as getting up as late as 8 AM [ !!! yes 8 AM means I have slept in, just ask Triscuit ] as I try to recuperate from the workaday world.  



Been a while since I gave a construction update.  When the weather was so stormy and wet, they appear to have concentrated on working inside Garage #3, but today they are out drilling.  Some of these holes appear to go right through to the garage below!  I wish I had a telescopic lens so I could take a closer snapshot, or binoculars so I could peer into them.



I blew up the picture of the large hole as much as I could, and you can see that some of the structural support needs to be reinforced.

The jackhammers aren't very noisy from the 20th floor, especially since the air today is still too cool to leave the balcony door open.  I'm still a bit worried about the noise and the dust when the weather does turn warmer, though I know that being this high up will definitely shield me from the worst of the impact.  Those folks down on the lower five floors must be miserable during the construction phase!

And so the workaday world takes over....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 195 - medicine and movies