Key Thought: Simple Prayer is not shallow prayer. It is truthful prayer

Day 1: Honest Prayer

1. Stop and reflect--where am I and what am I feeling?

2. Imagine--what words or thoughts describe who you are and where you are at THIS moment?

3. Pray for 3–5 minutes. Here are some possible starting points:

  • Right now I feel hurt, and disregarded, unappreciated and devalued..  The one thing I wanted in life was to matter and I don't feel like I do.  Granted that I have never made work my identity, but I did expect myself to be seen as a professional, not as housekeeping.  
  • God, here I am . . . 
  • This is what is true in me today: I am unmotivated to work, to sew, to do anything.  I just want to distract myself from reality.  I'm not happy with myself when I am like this - and if I don't like myself, how can I expect others to care about me.  How can I expect the God to give a damn if I don't?
  • Meet me here.  I'm sorry.  "Lord I am not worthy; only say the Word and my soul shall be healed"
Reflect:

Where do I feel pressure to “pray better” than I actually can?  

I saved the Litany of Humility to try and teach myself not to care when I am taken for granted and overlooked, but I don't really mean it.  I want to be appreciated, to be acknowledged, to feel ....  not so much important as to feel necessary.  I always said I wanted to leave a Carol-sized hole in the world when I go, but I think I failed in that 

What parts of my life do I usually leave out of prayer?

All of the above - Lord I am not worthy

What would it mean to come to God today without performing?

I would whine.  But He knows it already, so why keep telling Him?  He knows all too well what a flawed, needy, and yes even ugly inside person I am....


Day 2 Openness 

Today, practice praying a sentence prayer that reflects where you are in that moment. You may have 5 different prayers today.

Examples:
God, I am tired. - Lord I am worn out inside and out
God, I am grateful. - I have a job.  I have a lovely apartment.
God, I am afraid. - I am not sure how long I can keep this job or this apartment
God, I am frustrated. - this really shouldn't be this hard!  Lord you are having far too much entertainment with me... AND it is not fair!  All I wanted to do is take my family to a show, but it would cost $892 just for the tickets!!!
God, I want to trust you.
God, be merciful to me.

Reflect:

Which feels more natural to me: being open and vulnerable or polishing my prayers?

I tend to pray formally, using the Liturgy of the Hours or saying novenas

What impacted you about your sentence prayers today?

Today I did both  I realized I do both everyday.  And yet, I'm not sure I'm doing the right things or if anything I say makes a difference

Day 3 Ordinary Concerns

Read Foster’s Simple Prayer example and reflect on it: 
 
I am, O God , a jumbled mass of motives. One moment I can praise you and the next I am shaking my fist at you. I am full  of faith and doubt. I want the best for others, and I am jealous when they get it. But, I will not run from your presence or pretend to be what I am not. Thank you for accepting me with all my contradictions.   (Foster Prayers from the Heart, edited.) 

What does this simple prayer teach you?
 

Practice sharing. Pray a 4–6 line Simple Prayer.

Don't know exactly what to say, Lord, I never do so I retreat into the memorized incantations - unless I am arguing with you, thanking you, complaining, commenting, and otherwise just running my mouth as I vent to the ether.  Is doing that praying?  I know You hear me and I worry about that sometimes because I am not always very nice, but I comfort myself with the reflection that You already know the real me....

Reflect

What cares/ anxieties did I share today in prayer?
  • The dangers of driving - both gratitude for not rear-ending that car that suddenly braked while I was looking to the side at another car's weaving and worry about driving home as the severe thunderstorms roll in
  • My friend who had a heart attack going to the doctor late this afternoon
  • My friend who is dealing with cancer spreading to her liver
  • A daughter with a soon-to-be-ex
  • troubled grandkids - one is a trans boy dealing with autism and the other is hyper, suicidal and scared  - I want to help but sometimes when the burden falls on me I whine that it is not fair
  • And one of those are in the hospital dealing with swollen optic nerves caused by ECT as he/she processes my son's death after a year- and a great sense of relief that she has totally regained her vision  
  • the fact that I have been without Frank for longer than I was with him this year
  • my health - specifically the swollen feet and numb knees
  • the abysmal condition of this country under this feckless regime - doesn't anyone read history and realize just how BAD the gilded age was for the common person?

How did that affect me?

It's all rather depressing and I feel guilty about not being more grateful for the day that the Lord has given me.  I have a job.  I have a nice place to live and plenty to eat, wear, some disposable income -  and I here am I concentrating on all the things that are wrong in an endless litany interspersed with some thanks.  I mean, why would anyone, even God want to listen to all this drivel?

Day 4:  Mixed motives

Pray slowly:
  • God, part of me wants ________.
  • But another part of me ________.
  • I bring both parts to you.
  • Hold me in your mercy.
Reflect:

What did I hesitate to say to God?

What do I usually edit out of my prayers?

Where might God be inviting me to be more honest?

DAY 5:  Building it in

Choose one ordinary moment today and turn it into prayer.
Before a meeting:   God, help me be present and truthful.
While driving:   God, travel with me in this day.
When anxious:  God, I bring you this fear.
Before sleep:  God, I place this day in your hands.


Reflect:

How is simple prayer impacting you and your prayer life? 

 How is it the foundation for every other kind of prayer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vanity